During the onset of winter, Canberrans start preparing for heading to the nearest snowfield to have fun. Tourists visiting from other countries often wonder where to see snow near Canberra. Canberra and its neighboring areas have many places where people can enjoy snow in 2023. Canberra offers exciting activities for the visitors like tobogganing, snowman building, and snowball fights. Visitors who are adrenaline lovers can take their first lesson on skiing and snowboarding. Children who are above the age of four can have child-friendly and safe lessons on snow adventure sports.
Winter is the best time when you can visit Canberra for snow. It offers tons of snowy experiences that families and kids can enjoy. Visitors can spend beautiful weekends visiting various sites and enjoying excellent dining experiences. You can take a walk through the snow-covered trees and hike through ACT trails, which are available throughout the winter months. Nothing is more refreshing than enjoying winter among the carpet of snow, which makes it fun to spend time outside. Though there is only one place that offers snow in Canberra, the rest of the places are well within a 2.5 hour drive from the capital city. Hence, there are a good number of places where you can enjoy the snow.
Discover 5 Magical Spots for Snow Enjoyment in Canberra
Here are some of the best places to enjoy snow in Canberra in 2023.
1. Corin Forest Mountain Resort
Corin Forest is a small alpine resort situated at a height of 1200 meters. The resort is located 25 km from Canberra’s southern suburbs. Though the visitors might not find accommodation and a village like other resorts, there is still a high rate of visitors. The tourists come during winter for an exclusive winter resort experience which is available in Canberra’s backyard. The view of the Corin forest features picturesque tall forests and camping opportunities in Woods Reserve Campground. The camping ground is well supplied with barbeque, hot showers, clean toilets, and special access for the disabled. However, the availability is on a first come first serve basis. There is a chargeable fee for camping. Corin Forest Mountain resort provides all the convenience of a perfect snow resort. Besides, it is the closest snowfield to Canberra which can be easily accessible by people. Corin Forest is easily accessible from Canberra and it is affordable for most families.
- Why Visit Corin Forest Mountain Resort?
This place provides a plethora of activities that will keep families engaged for days. There are winter activities like snow play, various lessons on skiing, and additional ski and ride options for intermediates. Corin Forest Mountain Resort provides fantastic snow play activities that are offered to visitors. The list of exciting activities begins with beginners’ skiing and snowboarding lessons and snow play facilities. However, the availability of these activities is subject to the availability of snow. Tobogganing, gear, snowboards, snowsports schools, and skis are available for hire in the resort. However, visitors are recommended to make prior bookings as space for the activities is limited. Helmets are must-have safety devices that can be hired on the spot.
Popular Activities At Corin Forest Mountain Resort
There are several interesting activities that you can enjoy at this amazing place.
- Snow Play: During the winter season, guests may participate in snow play activities such as snowball battles, snowman construction, and sledging on designated snowfields.
- Tobogganing: Corin Forest has tobogganing runs for individuals of all ages, offering an exhilarating and fast-paced ride down the snow slopes.
- Skiing and Snowboarding: The resort has ski and snowboarding facilities, making it an ideal destination for beginners and intermediate-level skiers.
- Alpine Slide: It provides a thrilling journey down the mountain on a single-person cart on metal rails. Open around the year, and advance booking is required for tickets.
- Where To Stay
There are tons of good options for staying near Corin Forest Mountain Resort. Though there are no accommodations at the Corin Forest Mountain Resort, there are some budget-friendly hotels near the resort that will provide good accommodations.
- Alpha Hotel Canberra
- Abode Tuggeranong
- East Hotel
- Garden City Hotel BW Signature Collection
- Hyatt Hotel Canberra
- Abode Hotel Woden
- Where To Eat
There are a few good eateries near Corin Forest Resort.
- Lanyon Cafe
- Tharwa Country Store
- Deep Space Cafe
2. Square Rock, Namadgi National Park
Square Rock walk is located in Namadgi National Park. The place near Canberra boasts stunning views of the Brindabella ranges. The visitors can appreciate the snow during winter as they visit the trail leading to Square Rock. The hike is relatively easy, which is about 11 km. The distance includes rock hopping and exploration of side trails that look out to the Orroral Valley. The hike begins from the car park and ends up in the mountain range towards the grasslands. Square Rock, Namadgi Park is undoubtedly the most beautiful snow mountain Canberra can offer. Enjoying the snow doubles when the visitors go for the Orroral Valley lookout. Besides, there is a 500 m diversion which will lead to finding a picturesque view of the valley.
The vegetation becomes dense and visitors have to brush past the branches along the side trip. To reach Square rock, you would need to hike 1 km from the side trip. A metal ladder is placed to help the visitors to climb the Square rock. The visitors can also access Square rock by climbing the boulders. The top of the rock, however, has a flat top and ample room, allowing the people to sit and enjoy the snowy view. However, it is recommended to be cautious while exploring square rock as there are places like cliff edges and crevasses. Families visiting the place especially are requested to take care of the children. They can also enjoy a good open-air lunch with a spectacular view from the flat top as there is a good space.
- Why Visit The Place
Square Rock offers visitors the best aspect of what Namadgi reserve forest has to offer. During the winter the vegetation of mixed eucalyptus, granite boulders, and spectacular wilderness adorns in a white coat. It is an experience that will make you appreciate the beauty of mother nature. The granites are the remains of sedimentary rocks deposited in a place for millions of years. These geographical wonders are a spectacle that the visitors will enjoy throughout the hike.
Popular Activities At Square Rock
- Hiking: A magnificent hiking track leads to Square Rock, which gives amazing views of the surrounding countryside. The track is well-marked and very easy, making it appropriate for people of all fitness levels.
- Rock Climbing: For the more daring visitors, Square Rock offers rock climbing and bouldering. Climbers can enjoy ascending the distinctive rock formations and the rush of reaching the summit.
- Mountain Biking: This park has 250 miles of track to enjoy mountain biking. Visitors can get complete information about the accessibility of the trail from the visitor center.
- Photography: Square Rock is a popular destination for photographers due to its breathtaking panoramas and natural settings. Sunrise and sunset photography are especially popular at this location.
- Picnicking: There are designated picnic spots around Square Rock, offering guests a calm and attractive location in which to enjoy a meal.
- Wildlife Observation: The flora and wildlife of Namadgi National Park are diverse, and Square Rock is no exception. During your stay, keep an eye out for numerous bird species, wallabies, kangaroos, and other animals.
- Where To Stay
There are tons of good hotels which are located near the Namadgi National Park. Here are some of the top hotels where you can stay.
- Avenue Hotel Canberra
- East Hotel
- Ramada by Wyndham Diplomat Canberra
- Garden City Hotel, BW Signature Collection
- Abode Woden Hotel
- Alpha Hotel Canberra
- Where To Eat
There are all types of cuisines available ranging from western, Indian, grill, pizza, etc. Here is a list of restaurants where you can have a good meal with your family.
- Barbeque Nation
- Rama Fiji Indian Restaurant
- Les Bistronomes
- Domino’s Pizza Calwell
- Wokitup! Conder
3. Camels Hump, Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
As you move towards the south from the center of Canberra, you will come across one of the best places to spend a snow holiday in Canberra. The distinct Camel’s Hump peak on the horizon will provide a beautiful view that surrounds the natural reserve. A moderately steep hike takes visitors to Canberra’s highest ridge, the Camels Hump, located at the back of Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, which is 45 minutes from the city of Canberra. The hike is one of the toughest trails you will find anywhere in Canberra. The word Tidbinbilla is drawn from the Ngunnawal word Tidbinbilla – which refers to a place where men are forged into boys.
During the winter, the beautiful views that surround the nature reserves become more spectacular. Besides, it provides rare opportunities to come across diverse wildlife spotting opportunities. Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve is just a 45-minute drive from Canberra and provides a snowy experience. After parking the car in the car park, you will need to sign up for the bushwalking register. It is an adventurous 11.6 km return hike to the Camel’s Hump. It is the best place to visit for adventure lovers. The trail takes a generous 4-5 hours, and hikers need to have a minimum intermediate level.
- Why Visits The Place
The famous activity in Camels Hump is the 12.6 km fire trail which is a climb from the trailhead up to the base of Camel’s hump. The time taken for the trial is around 4.5 hours. It is considered a moderately challenging route. The route will also allow activities like bird watching, hiking, and running. You will come across other people during the exploration of the route. The route is kids friendly but no pets are allowed through the route.
Popular Activities At Camels Hump
- Hiking: Camels Hump may be reached through hiking paths, the most popular of which is the Camels Hump Track. The walk offers beautiful views of the surrounding scenery and the Tidbinbilla Valley. The trek is moderate to difficult.
- Birdwatching: Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve is well-known for its varied birds, and Camels Hump is no exception. Birdwatchers may see a variety of bird species.
- Photography: Camels Hump provides a fantastic photographic opportunity because of its spectacular panoramic views and diverse animals. During your stay, take photos of the stunning landscapes, unusual rock formations, and native species.
- Nature Walks: In addition to the trek to Camels Hump, the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve has numerous more nature walks and shorter pathways. Visitors may explore the reserve’s many ecosystems and experience a range of natural features on these hikes.
- Where To Stay
There are various hotels and lodges to choose from while staying near the Camel Hump. Here are a few of the top reviewed stays near Camel Hump.
- Mad River Barn
- Mad River Lodge
- Bolton Valley Ski resort
- Fairfield inn and Suites by Marriott
- Lotus Mountain Retreat
- Where To Eat
There are several leading restaurants where you can enjoy good food with your family. These eateries are well within the vicinity of the park. Here is a list of restaurants near Camel’s Hump State Park. All types of cuisines are available which vary from finger food, western, burgers, etc.
- Blackback Pub
- Michaels on the Hill
- Hen of the Wood
- The Hyde Away Restaurant
- The Reservoir
4. Mt. Selwyn
Mt. Selwyn emerged from its disastrous bushfire impact back in 2020. The snow resort has finally opened for new visitors in 2023 with a bag of new offerings and completely transformed features. The Selwyn Snow Resort is the first snow resort that has purchased a new TT10 snow machine which will enable snowmaking temperatures more than 2 degrees warmer than any previous system. Enjoying Snow at Mt. Selwyn has now become twice the fun. Though it is located in NSW Australia, it is just a 2.5-hour drive from Canberra. The resort boasts 45 hectares of the ski area with 10 lifts. The resort has terrain parking so that you can safely park your car. The new TT10 snow machine has expanded the snowmaking option to 35 hectares which provides a good space for having fun with the family. The downhill 35 hectares of terrain will offer skiing opportunities for all types of people.
The gentle slopes are placed among the snow gums and the Selwyn Snow Resort is considered among the best places in Australia where you can learn skiing and snowboarding. Even if you want to reintroduce yourself to snow sports despite being middle-aged, Selwyn Resort is the must-visit spot in this respect. Besides the newly opened Selwyn Resort has opened specific tobogganing and snow play which is a fun activity for the kids and family too. The support of the people and investors is turning Selwyn Resort into a perfect snow resort providing safety and fun to all visitors.
- Why Visits The Place
Visiting Selwyn Snow resort is the most convenient of all the snow resorts in Australia. You can purchase a season lift pass which varies from AUD 79 for adults a day to AUD 439 for seven days. It will provide access to an uphill lift for the season. There are also exciting offers for various seasons. Private and group lessons on snow sports are available for AUD 165 for 2 people and additional charges for an extra headcount. Taking this package, you will get trained by professionals in skiing and snowboarding. You can indulge in tobogganing which will cost around AUD 25 for a full-day activity.
Popular Activities At Mt. Selwyn
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Mt. Selwyn is noted for its family-friendly ski slopes, making it a perfect destination for beginning and intermediate skiers and snowboarders. The resort has a variety of ski runs for people of all experience levels.
- Snow Play: In addition to skiing and snowboarding, tourists may participate in snow play activities such as snowball battles, snowman building, and sledging in dedicated snow play zones.
- Snowshoeing: Enjoy the peace of the snow-covered scenery by snowshoeing along the mountain pathways. It’s a terrific way to take your time exploring winter beauty.
- Tobogganing: Many ski resorts, like Mt. Selwyn has designated toboggan zones where guests of all ages may ride toboggans down the slopes.
- Ski Lessons: If you’re new to skiing or snowboarding, take advantage of Mt. Selwyn’s ski schools, which provide beginning lessons to get you started.
- Where To Stay
There are tons of accommodation options to stay near the Selwyn Snow resort. Here is a list of popular stays near the venue.
- Barrakee Ski Lodge
- Ski Rider Hotel
- Smiggins Hotel & Apartment
- Tumbarumba Motel and Elms Restaurant
- Providence Park
- Where To Eat
The Selwyn Snow resort has limited eating options within a 30-minute drive vicinity. There is a general store and a restaurant which is quite popular in the area.
- Restaurant and Bar 1861
- Cabramurra General Store
- Tumbarumba Motel and Elms Restaurant (This motel has the Elms restaurant where you can find food)
5. Kosciuszko National Park
Last but not least, we have Kosciuszko National Park on our list of top places to enjoy snow in 2023. At this location, you can enjoy the finest snow experience near Canberra! This spectacular alpine beauty, just a few hours’ drive from the city, offers a winter paradise for snow lovers of all ages. During the winter, the park becomes a refuge for snow sports with its snow-capped activities and breathtaking scenery. There’s something for everyone, from thrilling skiing and snowboarding at big resorts like Thredbo and Perisher to family-friendly snowshoeing and tobogganing. Take a memorable walk to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko, Australia’s highest mountain, and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding Snowy Mountains. Kosciuszko National Park provides a variety of sports and snow-covered splendour.
Visitors may participate in a range of winter sports in the magnificent environment, making memories that will last a lifetime. This national park offers it all, whether you’re a seasoned skier searching for the excitement of the slopes or simply trying to relax in the tranquillity of the snowy environment. Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and immerse yourself in the enchantment of a winter wonderland in Kosciuszko National Park, where spectacular snow activities await only a short drive from Canberra.
- Why Go To Kosciuszko National Park
Kosciuszko National Park provides an enthralling getaway into the heart of the Snowy Mountains, making it an unrivalled location for nature lovers and adventure seekers alike. The park provides a magnificent setting begging to be explored, with its rough alpine terrain, rich animals, and the famed Mount Kosciuszko looming over all. Every season adds its own special beauty to this gorgeous national park, whether it’s trekking to the pinnacle of Australia’s highest mountain, skiing down pristine slopes in winter, or viewing the brilliant wildflowers blossom in spring. Visitors may embrace the tranquillity of the wilderness, unwind amidst nature’s beauties, and enjoy the delight of outdoor activities in one of Australia’s most outstanding natural resources.
Popular Activities At Kosciuszko National Park
- Hiking: There are several hiking paths for people of all fitness levels, ranging from short hikes to multi-day expeditions.
- Snow Sports: Kosciuszko National Park transforms into a winter paradise throughout the winter months, drawing skiers, snowboarders, and snow enthusiasts. Thredbo and Perisher are two major ski resorts in the region.
- Fishing: There are chances for recreational fishing in the park’s rivers and lakes, with the possibility of catching trout and other species. Before you cast your line, be sure you have the necessary fishing licences.
- Horseback Riding: It is permitted on selected pathways, allowing a unique opportunity to see the park’s alpine scenery and stunning panoramas.
- Camping: The park has a variety of camping spots, ranging from modest campgrounds to more isolated backcountry camping. Camping at Kosciuszko National Park is a fantastic opportunity to immerse oneself in the natural surroundings.
- Where To Stay
There are tons of stay options near Kosciuszko National Park. Here is a list of popular stays near the place.
- Snowgoose Apartment
- Pure Chalet Thredbo
- Chill-Out Thredbo
- Squatters Run Apartment
- Thredbo 31
- Where To Eat
Just like the restaurants there are lots of eateries that serve the visitors and tourists near Mt. Kosciuszko. Here is the list of the most popular eateries.
- Eagles Nest Restaurant
- Alfresco Pizzeria
- Avalanche Café
- Zack’s Grill
- Central Road 2625
The best time to visit Canberra for snow is during the peak condition which occurs in July and August. The resorts provide the most discounts like early bird passes and season discounts during June and October. If you are focused only on winter sports near Canberra like skiing or snowboarding it is between July and August. If you want to make further use of the opportunity to visit, traveling with children during the snowing months will provide special activities for kids. However, remember that these months are the busiest time of the year in the resorts. Hence, you would need to plan and invest in buying the early passes. Besides booking the accommodation beforehand will be the best idea as the prices of the room rent will soar high due to peak season.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Canberra Best Known For?
Canberra is renowned as a city that runs on 100 percent renewable energy where 70 percent of ACT is dedicated to nature parks. Besides Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve is home to five famous animals of Australia, namely koala, platypus, Kangaroo, emu, and wombat.
How Often Does It Snow In Canberra?
Canberra rarely gets snow in a year. There are only one or two days of snow in Canberra which melts quickly. Snow is more common towards the western ranges of the city and it is visible from the capital of Canberra. There are around 100 days of frost each year and 50 days of fog.
What Ski Field Is Closest To Canberra?
The Perisher Valley ski resort is closest to Canberra. It is located very close to Canberra Airport. While paying a visit to the ski resort, one should look out for the snow condition. It is a major factor when it comes to the availability of skiing. Since Canberra receives little snowfall during the winter, it is better to get updates on the snow and skill availability before visiting.
Where Can I Drive To See Snow In Canberra?
You can drive to the following places to find snow in Canberra.
- Corin Forest Mountain Resort
- Square Rock, Namadgi National Park
- Mt. Tennant, Namadgi National Park
- Camels Hump, Tidbinbilla National Reserve
While Corin Mountain resort is closest to Canberra, the rest of the destinations are approximately a 2 to 3 hours drive from Canberra city.
What Month Does Canberra Get Snowfall?
Canberra gets snowfall from June to October. June is the first month when the snow starts in Canberra. However, in June snowfall occurs on an average of 0.3 days. Throughout the year Canberra gets only 2.4 days of snowfall.